Sunday, September 18, 2011

London: Street art taken to a whole new level


Last summer Jason and I took a trip to Europe.  While in London, we had just walked across the Westminster Bridge, when I looked over the railing and saw this man painting.

I instantly recognized the painting of the woman in the green hooded cloak- "Sibylla Palmifera" by Dante Gabriel Rosetti.  I studied this painting in college.  "The Beloved" and "Hylas and the Nymphs" by Rosetti were also there along with "Flaming June" by Lord Frederick Leighton and "St. Cecilia" by John William Waters. 

The talent he had was amazing, but what impressed me the most, was that he was not selling any of his artwork.  He had a few small bowls set around to collect any donations.  He also had little  bits of art history posted under each painting.



The love he had for Pre-Raphaelite painters was obvious, but his absolute love for the act of  "painting" was even more striking.  When I asked him why his paintings were not for sale, he said he loved them too much to let them go.

As we walked away, him still on his hands and knees, I realized not once had I seen his name signed on any of his artwork. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment