Monday, February 20, 2012

Fabulous Food: My favorite sandwich


The other day, I was walking through a fresh market, when I saw these wonderful freshly baked baguettes and mozzarella made fresh that morning.  Instantly, I knew what I had to make for dinner - mozzarella, tomato, and basil sandwiches.  I have had this sandwich many times before, but nowhere was it better than in Oxford, England.  The whole rest of the day,  I was trying to remember what made that particular sandwich so amazing , besides the fact that we were in England eating it : )



Oxford was beautiful.  It was extremely busy, but still felt relaxed. 


We drove through Oxford on our way to the Cotswolds. 


We saw the University and Christ Church.


It was actually perfect.  Before we got back on the road, we stopped at a tiny deli where I got a mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwich.  The best I have ever had.  What I realize now is that everything in that sandwich was absolutely fresh...so that is what I knew I had to do to recreate it.  



 Vine ripened tomatoes...


 ...fresh cut basil...


...freshly sliced mozzarella...


 ...and a baguette.


I layered the mozzarella, basil and tomatoes onto the baguette.  A light sprinkle of sea salt, pepper, a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and ... 


 ...you have a big piece of heaven : )


Pair it with an ice cold hard cider (Bulmer's was the cider of choice in England).

If you are not a fan of tomatoes (like my husband), you can use roasted red peppers instead, and it is still absolutely delicious.



Even though I can't say it beat the one I ate in Oxford, it was pretty darn close.  Soooo good!




Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment