Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Light your fire with a little cinema...

Here are my top ten go-to movies for romance.  Some are new favorites, some are favorites from the past, some are funny, some are tragic...but they all are wonderful. 

In no particular order...because...I love them all : )



1. Pride and Prejudice (2005)

This is my "curl up on the couch on a rainy" day movie.  I can watch it over and over and over again.  I love the scenery, the music and the subtleties of Jane Austen.  I love how not one aspect of this movie is overdone.  









(copyright Focus Features)                        


2. Casablanca (1942)


I remember seeing this movie when I still believed that a true love story has to have a happy ending.  As I got older, I began to understand why this film is so amazing.  No one can tell a story about love and loss better than Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.






(copyright Warner Bros.)



3. Ghost (1990)

Ok. So you may be thinking...soooo predictable.  But, I have to say that every movie on this list has it's moment in time.  What says LOVE more than protecting the love of your life from beyond the grave?  I mean, seriously?  

And do I need to mention the BEST clay throwing lesson of all time : )





(copyright Paramount Pictures)


4. Mansfield Park (1999)

Yes, another Jane Austen book adapted to the big screen.  This movie speaks to the essence of unrequited love.  You sit through it... damning the circumstances along the way... and just when you think that  Fanny and Edmund are destined to be apart ... it happens...  You will just have to watch the movie to see what "it" is...or... I guess you could read the book : )





(copyright BBC Films)


5. Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011)

One of my new favorites.  This movie is funny, sad and romantic.  It is one of those movies that has a lot going on, but every storyline is interesting.  The combination of characters is great.





(copyright Warmer Bros.)


6. Bridget Jones Diary (2001)

Even though I have to turn away during the most terrifyingly embarrassing parts of this movie, I can not turn the channel whenever it's on.  I LOVE Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) and who wouldn't want someone to love them just as they are?





(copyright Miramax)


7. Say Anything (1989)

So, a list of romantic films can not be complete without an iconic teen angst love story from the 80's.  Who can forget the image of John Cusack holding up a jambox while "Your Eyes" is playing? If you remember this movie, you are probably the same ones who can remember what a "jambox" is.





(copyright 20th Century Fox)


8.  The Notebook (2004)

Two people meet...become absolutely infatuated with one another... that infatuation turns into a burning love... which gets torn apart...which makes their love turn into longing...which brings them back together.  If you ever felt that infatuation that I sometimes think only teenagers can truly feel, this movie brings it back full force.  I love enduring, painful love.  






(copyright New Line Cinema)


9. The Proposal (2009)

The perfect story of two people who can not stand one another falling in love.  The story may have been told before...but not with Betty White.  Love her!





(copyright Touchstone Pictures)


10. Amelie (2001)

I am a sucker for sub-titles.  I LOVE foreign films, but Amelie could possibly be my favorite movie- foreign or domestic.  It is whimsical, funny, romantic and all together original.  It has a little bit of everything I love about LOVE.   
 




(copyright Clauddie Ossard Productions)




No comments:

Post a Comment