Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Fabulous Food : the best cranberry sauce


Cranberry sauce...a Thanksgiving staple that is hated by some as much as it is loved by others.  I grew up only knowing the canned version - something I can honestly say I stared at... as it passed me by at the dinner table...year after year.  I made my first homemade cranberry sauce a few years ago, and I realized what I had been missing for so many years.  This recipe is the best cranberry sauce I have ever had - it is tart and sweet at the same time, with crunchy walnuts and a surprising taste of pineapple, orange and cloves along the way.  Soooo goood : )

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
24 ozs. fresh cranberries
8 oz. crushed pineapple (not drained)
2 mandarin oranges (finely chopped)
1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
sprinkle of cinnamon

Directions:

1. Rinse cranberries.  Inspect them carefully and throw out all cranberries that have any soft spots.


2. Boil water and sugar in a heavy saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.  Add cranberries and turn the heat down to medium.  The cranberries will begin to pop open and lose their shape.  You want to cook them about 5 minutes or until, they have become a sauce and can be easily stirred.  


 3. Remove from heat.  Add the crushed pineapple and oranges. 



4. Stir the fruit into the sauce.


5. Add the walnuts, ground cloves and cinnamon and stir well.


6. You can serve it immediately or refrigerate it and serve it cold.   I like to present it in ramekins for individual servings. 


You will probably never think of cranberry sauce the same way again : )  


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment