Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Finally...my new suitcase bedside table


I've mentioned it a few times...it just took having my lovely husband home with me on Christmas break to get it done : )  It started with a suitcase my aunt gave me.  It had seen better days, but I LOVED it from the moment I first saw it. 

I HAVE to show you the before and after-



I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.  It has everything I wanted in  a new bedside table-

  • a shelf- to puts things I want within arm's reach

  • combination of vintage and modern style- vintage details combined with a bright glossy white paint.  I even love the way the buckles are bent from when my aunt lost the key and pried them open with a screwdriver.


  • and it had to be a one-of-a-kind- and that it is. 

I was a little unsure of how to style it...actually I'm still unsure...things may get changed a bit.  But for right now, I have a couple of my favorite design books with an orchid sitting on top of them.  I spray painted the flower pot, which was a basic terracotta color, a gold paint to pick up the brass details on the suitcase. 


 I also have a scalloped silver dish to collect all my jewelry.


And this poor lamp, which I have transformed 3 times in the past.  It started out as mirrored glass, but it was a bit too mirrored, so I painted it in random brush strokes with glass etching cream.  It ended up looking a bit like mercury glass. 


And finally...my new mantra, which was intended for my girls, but I quickly realized that as much as I want to raise them believing in every word, I need to believe it of myself first...then I can teach it to them.  So, what better place than right by my head to make it sink in?


Overall, I am super excited and super pleased with the way it turned out.  Jason has earned some MAJOR brownie points for helping me with this project.


 I will be posting a tutorial tomorrow on how you can make your own suitcase table.

Until then... : )


***You can check out the suitcase table tutorial here


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment